Etched Casserole Dish

When Dustyn and I got married we got a beautiful glass serving bowl with an "R" etched on it. I thought it was such a thoughtful gift and loved anything with my new last name on it! When I got the invitation to Dustyn's cousin Allison's wedding shower, I knew right away that I wanted to give her something similar. The downside of these personalized gifts is that they can often be expensive plus you have to pay for shipping. Well it turns out you can do it yourself plus it's fairly inexpensive, quick, and easy!




Materials
Glass item(s) to be etched
Glass Etching Cream
Brush Applicator
Adhesive Alphabet Stencils
Paper Plate
Patterning Tape (Skinny or Wide) - Optional
Disposable Gloves - Optional

1. Start by deciding how you want your monogram to look. Once you have a plan, place your stencils on the glass. (If you have a Cricut or Silhouette machine, you can also make stencils out of vinyl.) I used the Martha Stewart Bold Serif Alphabet Stencils for the name and the Martha Stewart Wedding Etching Cream Kit for the designs on each side. Note: If you decide to buy the kit, it comes with etching cream, a brush, and disposable gloves. If you are one who colors outside the lines, then you might want to add patterning tape around the stencils to cover any glass you don't want to get etching cream on.




2. Once you have the design laid out on the glass, it's time to apply the etching cream. I used the Martha Stewart Etching Cream, but you can use whatever brand your local craft store carries. Squeeze the cream out onto the paper plate and use a brush to apply it. You want to apply a lot and completely cover the letters.


  


3. Now you just sit and wait. (My least favorite part!)  I would wait at least 10 minutes more than the instructions say on your cream. The longer you wait the darker the etch. I left mine on about 15 minutes, but next time I will probably do at least 30 minutes. When your timer goes off, rinse all of the cream off and remove the stencils. Wipe dry and you have a great gift ready to be wrapped!








Tip: All of the Martha Stewart products can be found at Michael's. Be sure to download their app for a 40% off coupon.




~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21



Comments

  1. Thank you Randi for showing how easy this is, now I don't have to have someone else do it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment