JoAnn's Sewing Basics Class Review

I've always wanted to know how to sew. I grew up around my mom sewing clothes or making Rageddy Ann dolls and my Mammaw has always quilted beautiful blankets for us. Plus I think there is something extra special about giving and receiving handmade gifts. I've made photo calendars for grandparents for Christmas, photo books for my niece and nephews first birthdays and recently made an etched casserole dish for a wedding shower. All great handmade gifts, but I really like the idea of making children's clothing for baby showers and sewing t-shirt quilts for graduation gifts. There was just one problem, I didn't even know how to turn the sewing machine on! So, when I was at JoAnn's several weeks ago and noticed a 50% off one class coupon on the app, I decided to sign up for their Sewing 101: Sewing Basics class. 





I took the class at the Webster location. The instructor Terry has been sewing for over 20 years. I don't own a sewing machine, so I used one they had there. I liked the idea of not having to carry a big machine into the store, but after realizing that not all machines work the same way or have the same buttons/levers, it would have been nice to learn on the machine I am going to use at home.



When I signed up for the class, they gave me a list of class supplies: 
  • Fat Quarter (A 1/4 yard cut of fabric usually measuring 19" x 22")
  • Fusible Interfacing
  • Thread
  • Sewing Shears
  • Straight Pins
  • Pin Cushion
  • Seam Ripper
I was provided with everything except for the seam ripper. I also received a Sew 101 guide.




We started the course by going over some sewing terms, tools and supplies, and types of stitches. It was a little overwhelming for a newbie. After that, we learned how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Finally, we got to the fun part, sewing! The instructor had a sheet of lines for us to practice on. It was a good exercise in that it showed me how to use the machine, work the foot peddle, and raise and lower the presser foot and needle. I used the straight and zig-zag stitches as well as the back stitch.







Our next exercise was to work on sewing corners. I'm such a lead foot (driving too lol) that I had trouble keeping my lines straight. At this point, I can already see that I'm going to have to work on taking my time and being patient if I want to be successful at sewing. (Dustyn will agree those are not things I do well!) We were also given a sheet to practice circles, but I ran out of time.




After the sewing exercises, we talked about hems and how to read patterns. Then we spent the last few minutes going through the store. Terry showed us the different types of fabric and where all of the tools and patterns are located. Overall, I think it was exactly what I needed. However, I am glad I didn't purchase any supplies, because the only tools we used were the scissors and the thread. I can't wait to get a sewing machine and practice. I already have plans to use the 50% off one class coupon I received to take the Sewing 102: Inside Pocket Tote Class. I also found this cool sewing dictionary to help me learn the sewing lingo.

Note: JoAnn's is running a promotion from February 21-23, 2014 for 50% off all sewing and quilting classes. There is also usually a coupon on the app. If you don't live near a JoAnn's, they also have sewing classes online through Craftsy.


~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21



Comments