Semi-Homemade Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Dustyn loves red velvet cake. So when he told me he had to bring a dessert to work the next day, I knew immediately what he should bring. I had seen Sunny Anderson on t.v. a few weeks ago talking about her recipe for Red Velvet Swirl Brownies. A red velvet brownie-like bottom topped with a cream cheese mixture. They sounded delicious, but after being at work all day and making dinner, I didn't want to have to go to the store and spend all night baking. So after scouring recipes online, I took bits and pieces from here and there and came up with this semi-homemade version using ingredients I already had on hand.



Ingredients
Red Velvet Cake Mix (Duncan Hines Signature is my favorite!)
2 eggs
3/4 c melted butter
1/2 c water
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
1 c chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet.)
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 c sugar


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.


2. In a mixing bowl, add 1 egg, melted butter and water; mix until combined. Add the cake mix, 1 tsp. vanilla and salt; mix until well combined.










3. Stir in the chocolate chips and spread all but 1/4 cup of the red velvet mixture into a greased baking dish.








4. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tsp vanilla; mix until well blended.







5. Alternate spooning  large drops of the cream cheese mixture and the remaining red velvet mixture into the pan.









6. Drag a knife through the two mixtures creating swirls. You can also add drops of red food coloring to make the swirls.(Next time I will swirl a little less than I did and leave more of the white area exposed.)





7. Bake for 30-45 minutes.  Allow them to cool and put them in fridge for 1-2 hours before cutting.








Bakers Tip: The vanilla will slightly tint the cream cheese mixture. If you want a pure white look, use clear vanilla.


ENJOY!


~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21


Comments