Tips for New Cake Decorators


I LOVE cake decorating, but I am by no means an expert. I just love being able to use my creativity and baking skills to create something that not only looks good, but tastes good too. These are my tips for people who want to start or just started making cakes.


1. It all starts with a great recipe. Family recipes and cookbooks are a great place to start, but if you still haven't found what you are looking for, I would highly suggest joining Cake Central. I have been part of this online community for 7 years. The site is packed with recipes and tutorials, plus there is forum to ask questions and get advice. I would highly recommend the WASC Cake recipe. It pairs nicely with the Extra Special Buttercream Icing recipe.

The WASC recipe is durable enough for carved cakes.


2. It takes a little know how. I took all of the Wilton courses at my local craft store, Michael's. However, now you can take them online through Craftsy.(They have tons of other great courses too!) It's no secret I love Craftsy. Being able to watch the instruction videos over and over again is really helpful. Plus you can ask questions and advice from your instructor and classmates.

BEFORE taking any cake decorating courses
DURING the Wilton Buttercream Skills course
AFTER the Wilton Buttercream Skills course.
DURING the Wilton Piped Flowers Course


3. Practice makes perfect. I know, I know, you have heard this before, but it's true! My friends and family have never complained about me using them as guinea pigs and are always thrilled when I bring one of my practice cakes for them to eat.

I made a pink ribbon practice cake and took it to work for breast cancer awareness.


I made a bunny cake for my family for Easter.


4. Cupcakes are cake too. Sometimes making a large cake can be cumbersome. Especially, when you are just wanting to practice. However, you can make a box of cake mix and practice piping and fondant skills on cupcakes. (I wouldn't recommend using canned icing though.it's too soft to hold a shape.)

Creating a scene using sprinkles and candies
Creating water and people using icing and food
Creating flowers, leaves and birds using fondant and fondant molds
Using fondant to sculpt objects


5. Have Fun - I have spent many nights stressing over little flaws I found in my cakes. However, I have learned, that 99.9% of the time, nobody sees those imperfections but you. 

The icing was too thick and caused the lines to be crooked.
The star was drooping.
The icing wasn't smooth and some of the cake showed through.
Elmo was too boxy and the characters on the 2nd tier weren't centered.

You can check out more of my cakes and creations HERE


~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21

Comments