Wedding Dress Cupcake Cake

Dustyn's cousin Allison is getting married in March and his aunt asked if I could make a wedding dress cupcake cake for the shower. You can see my gift, a casserole dish I etched with her new last name. HERE Anyway, you can make the cake in any size, but I made 3 dozen cupcakes (Dustyn and I HAD to eat a few just for quality control purposes). :) I used the Georgetown Cupcake recipe for Vanilla Bean Cupcakes found Here. I like this recipe because it is delicious as is (especially with madagascar bourbon vanilla extract), but it is also a great base recipe for any flavor. Add a little lemon juice and some zest to the icing and it becomes a wonderful lemon buttercream. YUM!







Supplies
Cupcakes (2-3 dozen work best)
Icing
Piping Bag
Tip (I used 2D, but 1M would work.)
Cake Board (You can buy one or make your own out of a cardboard box.)
Sprinkles
Embellishments
Note: You can use a box mix to make the cupcakes, but I would not recommend a canned icing. The consistency isn't stiff enough to hold the swirl shape.


1. Start by deciding how big your dress will be and find a board that will fit your design. I used almost 3 dozen cupcakes so I used part of a cardboard box and wrapped it in wedding wrapping paper. If you use 2 dozen cupcakes, you could buy a board from Walmart or the craft store and do something like THIS.





2. Lay out your cupcakes on the board. If you are transporting them to another location, you may want to attach them to the board with a dab of icing.





3. Put the decorating tip into the piping bag and then add the icing. Using the 2D tip, pipe a rose swirl onto each cupcake. For a how to video click HERE. I added white and silver sparkling sugar sprinkles as I went so they would stick to the icing. I also added 3 edible pearl sprinkles to each cupcake. 







 4. Once you have iced all of the cupcakes, you will need to go back and fill in the holes. It is best to try to extend the swirls you already have on the cupcakes. You'll want to make sure you add some sprinkles to these areas also for a uniform look.





5. Now it's time to decide what embellishments you are going to use and put them on. You can use fondant, icing, ribbon, jewelry...the possibilities are endless. The colors were yellow/gold and gray, so I purchased some yellow/gold ribbon at the craft store. I also found some bling stickers and a hair piece in the wedding section that I thought would look good. (If you shop at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnn, be sure to download their app and use a coupon. There is usually one for 40% off one item.) If you want, you can also pipe a message at the bottom using icing and a #3 or #5 tip. I used scrapbook stickers I already had on hand. 


The shower hostess did an amazing job with the decorations and the cake was a hit! Enjoy!

                               





~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21


Comments