DIY Growth Chart

I've been wanting to get my nephew Henry a growth chart since he was born. I loved the one we had in our house growing up. The only problem was it was stuck to the wall and we couldn't take it when we moved. (So I had to settle for taking a picture of it instead.) So when looking for something for Henry, I knew I wanted something that could be hung on the wall and moved as needed, and I didn't want anything with characters on it that he would out grow. So needless to say it took until Henry's 4th birthday (You can get read about his party HERE.) for me to decide that I just needed to make one! And let me tell you it is so cheap and easy!




Supplies
6 foot fence post or similar-sized wooden board 
Sand paper 
Paint (2 colors) 
Paint Brush 
Painters Tape
Ruler 
Pencil
Sharpie Paint Pen 
Mailbox Numbers 

1. Sand the fence post including the sides. I only spent about 5 minutes doing this. Just enough to get the splintery edges off. I chose the fence post because it was the right size and only $1.48!

2. Tape off your stripes. I used a ruler to make sure they were straight and put a small x in every other spot so I would know where I wanted to paint the first color.





3. Paint the board using the first color. (My husband did this for me.) He painted the front and both sides. You will need two coats. (You can get the sample jars of paint in any color and they are only $2.94 a piece!) Before the second coat is completely dry, remove the painters tape. Let it completely dry.




4. Now place the tape on top of the dried paint and line it up to the unpainted edges. Repeat step 3 using the second paint color. 



5. Using a pencil and a ruler, start at the bottom and mark off all of the inches. I put a small x where each foot would be. 



6. Using the paint pen and a ruler, go back and add the lines. I used painters tape to make sure they were all of the same length. I made the inch marks about 2 inches long and the foot marks about 3 inches long. Be careful not to touch the wet marks because they will smudge. I had to go back with a small brush and touch up a few of the blemishes.



7. Add the numbers. You can either draw them on with the paint pen using a stencil, or do like I did and get a pack of cheap mailbox numbers from Walmart for $7.47.




That's it! Pretty easy right? Henry and his little brother Tike loved it! I think I am going to make one for my niece Brooklyn next. And maybe one to keep at my house too. :)


~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21

Comments