DIY Growth Chart Using Vinyl

So previously, I talked about how I made a growth chart for my nephew's birthday. At the time I didn't own a Silhouette Cameo (which is my favorite "toy" ever!), so when I decided to make another growth chart for my niece's 3rd birthday, I knew I wanted to cut the design from vinyl using my machine. I started out the same way as before, sanding and painting my board. You can see the details here.




Now that it is painted, you are ready for the vinyl decals.  I know you can get the growth chart svg files for the Silhouette, cut them, and then lay them out in one swoop. I didn't want to do this because it leaves a lot of empty space on the vinyl and I didn't want to waste any material. I started by making a rectangle in my Silhouette Designer Software and re-sizing it to 2 inches wide for my inch lines. 

Once I had it like I wanted it, I copied and pasted it until I got the number I needed. Then I repeated the process to make 3 inch wide rectangles for my foot lines. Once I had all the lines I needed, I cut them on vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo, peeled away the extra vinyl, applied the transfer tape and cut around each piece. (Silhouette has a tutorial if you haven't used vinyl before.)

I used a measuring tape and ruler to mark where I wanted the lines to go and then transferred them to the board. Once that was done, I went back to my Silhouette Designer Software and made the numbers and a monogram. I used regular text for the numbers and I purchased the monogram letters in the store. I re-sized them and repeated the same process as I had with the lines. I cut the monogram as 3 separate letters and then placed them overlapping on the board to create the monogram look. I love how it turned out!

~ Randi

Follow me on pinterest and instagram @rarich21

Comments